It’s been some time after the launch of Sukanya Samriddhi Account, but still there are many questions & doubts which people are looking for proper answers. In this article, I have tried to collect all such possible questions at one place with proper answer as per people’s experience so far.
I have also created a dedicated Facebook group on SSY account where you can find people with real time experience. I am taking their help to get these queries answered also. I hope I am able to cover all the common queries or questions people are looking for answers.
25+ Frequently Asked Questions on Sukanya Samriddhi Account
1. Is it possible to change the name of girl child in Sukanya account
Yes, you just have to file an affidavit with the name change request in post office or bank wherever you have opened the account.
2. Is it possible to make changes in date of birth
I am not sure about this although, but in case there is some genuine reason like the DOB is wrongly updated in the passbook then I think you should be able to change the DOB.
3. Can we check Sukanya samriddhi account amount details online
No, only passbook updates. Currently you cannot link your minor’s account in your sbi profile, since the account is not in your name, that is what the bank told to one of our reader.
4. Sukanya samriddhi account online payment
Yes, it should be possible similar to fund transfer way only.
5. Sukanya samriddhi account interest rates
Interest rate of SSY account will change every year. You can find out about the latest interest rate for Sukanya Samriddhi Yojna account by following the post office page itself. Rate of interest 8.6% Per Annum (w.e.f 1-4-2016),calculated on yearly basis ,Yearly compounded.
6. Sukanya samriddhi account maturity rules
Account can be closed after completion of 21 years. Normal Premature closure will be allowed after completion of 18 years/provided that girl is married.
7. Sukanya Samriddhi account NRI eligibility
No, as per the new changes in SSA amendments people without any Indian citizenship can’t open this account for the girl child. This includes NRI, OCI & PIO. Here is an awesome display of who are eligible to open SSY account I found in BankBazaar.com.
|Nationality of the mother||Nationality of the father||Daughter’s nationality||Eligibility|
|Mother is an Indian(NRI)||Father is an Indian(NRI)||Daughter is OCI or PIO||Not eligible|
|Mother is not an Indian residing outside India||Father is an Indian and residing outside India||Daughter is OCI or PIO||Not eligible|
|OCI or PIO||OCI or PIO||Daughter is PO||Not eligible|
|OCI or PIO residing outside of India||OCI or PIO residing outside of India||Daughter is an Indian||Not eligible|
|OCI or PIO residing in India||OCI or PIO residing in India||Daughter is an Indian||Eligible|
|OCI or PIO residing outside of India||OCI or PIO residing outside of India||Daughter is an Indian residing in India||Eligible|
8. Do I need to open a savings bank account to open this SSY account?
No, there is no such rules. I have seen many people has been asked by banks to open a savings account first and deposit the minimum balance before opening a SSY account.
9. Is Sukanya Samriddhi available account for US citizens?
No. I have already shared the rules about the same. You can check out the eligibility criteria of SSA above.
10. Sukanya samriddhi account online deposit rules
I think its not possible for them who have opened this account in post office. People who opened SSY account in Bank like SBI, may transfer money online.
11. What is the age limit of Sukanya Account
As per the new rules, you can open Sukanya account till the age of 10 years of your girl child. It was 11 years for the first year of launch.
12. How to transfer Sukanya samriddhi account from post office to bank
As per my knowledge, I think you have to close the SSY account first and then re-apply to the new bank or posst office wherever you want to transfer.
13. Is there any Sukanya samriddhi account helpline number
So far I found a Dedicated Toll free number 1800 -223-060 is available now for Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana. Hope this works fine, even though I have not tried that number.
14. What will happen in case of father/ legal guardian death?
The account will be closed furnishing the valid documents like death certificate. The maturity benefit will be transferred to the girl child.
15. What will happen in case the death of girl child or minor
The answer is simple, the account will be closed and the benefits will be transferred to the guardian of the kid.
16. Are both the parents (father & mother) eligible for tax exemptions
Only a single person can get income tax benefits under this scheme. It can be any one of the parents or legal guardian whomever is depositing money for the girl child.
17. How to use Sukanya samriddhi account calculator?
You can find various excel based SSY calculator but that return calculated using them may be indicative only, as no one know what will be the interest rate of this scheme from next year onward.
18. Documents required to open this account
- SSY Account Opening Form
- Birth Certificate of girl child
- Identity proof (as per RBI KYC guidelines)
- Residence proof (as per RBI KYC guidelines)
19. SSY or PPF – which is best?
Both are 2 different scheme and one can avail both of them in case you have a girl child to save money. Income tax benefit wise it’s only max 1.5 lakh wherever you can put your money.
20. Should you invest in a child plan or not? Different types of children plans
If you are worried about how to save money for your kids future expenses like education, marriage or anything else then you can explore these schemes. But remember that the interest rate of SSY or PPF are not best in market if you compare with mutual funds. If you don’t want to take much risk these these are the best tool compared to child insurance policies. Other than that, you can go with stock investment as the investment horizon is long term to get a very good return, despite having the risk factor.
21. Can I open SSY for two daughters
A guardian can open only one account in the name of one girl child and maximum two accounts in the name of two different Girl children.
22. Is it possible to Change guardian
No you cannot change the name of the guardian.
23. Is SSY account better compared to LIC children policies
I don’t understand why people are looking for child insurance policies for their kids? Buy a term insurance plan for you to secure your kids life and then invest money in schemes like SSY, PPF, Mutual fund to get good return. That’s it, there is no comparison with insurance & investment product.
24. Loan against Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
Although you may take loan against any deposit schemes like PPF account, but as per the rules loan against SSY account is not possible yet.
25. Sukanya Samriddhi vs Recurring Deposit
Again I will say every deposit scheme is having their own purpose. You may find similarities between this 2 deposit scheme and again differences as per maturity benefit & income tax exemption rules.
26. How to open Sukanya Samriddhi account in Bank?
There are 28 banks who are authorized to open Sukanya account. Here is the various banks name & their links of SSY scheme in their official website.
- How To Open SSA in Allahabad Bank
- How To Open SSA in Oriental Bank of Commerce
- How To Open SSA in Andhra Bank
- How To Open SSA in Punjab National Bank
- How To Open SSA in Axis Bank
- How To Open SSA in Punjab & Sind Bank
- ow To Open SSA in Bank of Baroda
- How To Open SSA in State Bank of India
- How To Open SSA in Bank of India
- How To Open SSA in State Bank of Patiala
- How To Open SSA in Bank of Maharashtra
- How To Open SSA in State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur
- How To Open SSA in Canara Bank
- How To Open SSA in State Bank of Travancore
- How To Open SSA in Central Bank of India
- How To Open SSA in State Bank of Hyderabad
- How To Open SSA in Corporation Bank
- How To Open SSA in State Bank of Mysore
- How To Open SSA in Dena Bank
- How To Open SSA in Syndicate Bank
- How To Open SSA in ICICI Bank
- How To Open SSA in UCO Bank
- How To Open SSA in IDBI Bank
- How To Open SSA in Union Bank of India
- How To Open SSA in Indian Bank
- How To Open SSA in United Bank of India
- How To Open SSA in Indian Overseas Bank
- How To Open SSA in Vijaya Bank
I will make this post open to all my readers and also I will ask my friends and community members who have girl child & opened Sukanya account for their little princess to make this article more worthy by adding more valuable queries and also actually experienced answers to help everyone.
Spread more about this and promote Beti Bachao Beti Padhao with Beti Khelao wherever possible to change the mentality of our society. You can also visit my website sukanyasamriddhiaccount.com created only to share everything about SSY scheme only. Thanks for reading & sharing this article.